Gaining Confidence

22 Mar

I often get comments that express admiration at my confidence. It flatters me, as I do believe that body confidence is one of the most attractive things anyone can have. The ability to present yourself not as egotistical, but as cool, calm and happy with yourself. It’s not something that we are born with, or something that comes easily to us all. It’s not about looks, it’s more about feeling at peace with yourself and feeling comfortable. Here are my tips on how to feel a little more confident and self assured.

Naturally, it goes without saying that the first place you should look too to feel happier and more confident is…your underwear drawer. Ill fitting bras and uncomfortable knickers are enough to knock anyone’s confidence. If you are UK based I would urge you to get to a Bravissimo for a fitting. If you would prefer you can email or call them and they will be able to advise you that way. Alternatively, you can check out Butterfly Collection’s bra calculator which will be able to give you a size that is very close to what you should be wearing. For more information about the styles of bras out there and what they can do, check out my video:

Check out my bra fitting posts here.

In terms of knickers, this post by The Lingerie Addict is a great read for ladies looking for a little comfort in the undercracker department. My advice is to always buy knickers that do not dig in, do not irritate you and if they match your bra? Bonus!

Of course, it doesn’t end there with underwear. My favourite piece of underwear after my bra has to be my shapewear. I know that a lot of women turn their noses up at the idea of shapewear and see it as ‘cheating’ and an annoyance, but personally I adore it. It helps put my mind at ease that my tight dress isn’t showing too much of my bulgey stomach, and it makes me feel smooth, streamlined and carefree. This is my favourite piece:
maidenformxl

This is how the shapewear looks when worn with a fairly loose corset.

This is how the shapewear looks when worn with a fairly loose corset.

It is by Maidenform and I adore it. The straps mean that it won’t roll down, and the shorts mean that it won’t roll up – even on my rather large thighs! The only problem with it is that going to the loo can be…ahem…tricky. It has a convenient ‘slit’, designed to make such actions easier, but it’s still something that baffles some, and can take a bit of getting used too!

Once your underwear is in order, you can feel like you are ready to take on the world! You feel younger, slimmer, walk taller and your outfits can look far better. I get countless emails from women who have been fitted for a better bra or found some that work well for them, and they are all positive. These women feel happier and more body positive without having to lose or gain weight or have surgery.

Personally, I always feel a lot happier after exercise. Don’t get me wrong, I loathe going to the gym as much as anyone! But when I leave, red faced, sweating and breathing heavily, I do feel body positive, even though I am a long way away from being happy with my size. Sometimes all I need to do in a few sit ups or go for a short jog. Sometimes it’s a full gym session. It’s not for everyone, but it works for me.

Taking care of my nails, skin and hair is also something that makes me feel good. Yes, they are appearance based and it is vain, but personally I feel a lot more put together when I feel confident with my looks.

Due to my job, I can’t paint my nails too often. But when I can, I do and it makes me feel ultra feminine. Sometimes I indulge myself with a salon treatment, and often turn here for interesting offers on professional manicures in London. I am also a huge fan of pedicures, and my trusty Ped-Egg is the best thing that I have found to use on them. Clean smooth feet with painted toes are something that you don’t even need to show anyone or spend much time and money on – it can just make you feel a whole lot better about yourself.

I dye and straighten and curl and generally abuse my hair way too much! And so treating it to the odd hair mask is a must!. I do love to go the the hairdress when I have the time and money, but it’s just so easy to do some cleaning or cooking whilst my hair rejuvenates in a hair mask, and in a few hours it’s back to looking gorgeous and healthy.

I am also a huge sucker for a face mask, as is my boyfriend!

Pardon my face!

Pardon my face!

It’s another quick cheap easy DIY treatment that really changes how you feel about yourself. I rarely wear foundation, and I attribute that to my face mask obsession and all the water I drink. I have tried a few homemade masks to varying degrees of success, but my favourite has to be this mud mask.

There are of course ways that will and won’t work for various people with regards to feeling happy and confident and exuding that. This post was just my way of sharing how I go about making myself feel like ‘me’. I hope that it has not come across as a vain post, but generally speaking appearance is something that we all rely heavily on to make us feel good about ourselves. I would love to hear from other people with regards to what you do to feel confident and happy within yourself :)

14 Responses to “Gaining Confidence”

1. Cora, The Lingerie Addict March 22, 2013 at 12.53 #

Thank you for mention! :-)

2. Chloe March 22, 2013 at 12.53 #

I’ve found being confident & happy in my body a struggle, I’m getting there but it’s hard! I love red lipstick, despite being shy & it being a bold look I’ve just always loved it! It makes me feel all glamorous even if the rest of my hair, make up & outfit isn’t. I also love a nice perfume, again it just makes me feel glam & gives that little boost.

3. Alex March 22, 2013 at 12.53 #

I don’t think any of this is vanity, I think taking pride in how you look is a great thing. Personally, I want to look the best I possibly can at all times – and that includes the moments when I’m sat on the sofa in a hoodie and pyjamas!

4. shapeplusstyle March 22, 2013 at 12.53 #

I totally agree with Alex. I may not have my ideal body, but that doesn’t mean I have to neglect what I do have. It causes much consternation with my hubby that I can’t just pop to the shops without sorting my hair and popping on a bit of make-up. But it has less to do with what other’s will think of me, as they probably don’t give a toss to be honest. It has everthing to do with how I feel about myself, and if I feel bad about myself I’ll be more likely to do thinks like over-eat and take less care about what I put into my mouth! A good, thought provoking post!

5. Nikki Sumner March 23, 2013 at 12.53 #

I love shapewear I have a very clingy dress that I never wear without a bit of help!!! I have a high waisted cincher thing from M&S that I love although being able to breathe is sometimes an issue!!!

6. Pam March 28, 2013 at 12.53 #

Hi Georgina, thanks for this. I’ve had big boobs since I can remember and i always thought i was good at buying the right bra. Before bravisimmo, brastop i was spending 70pounds plus at rigby and pellar! So, me and me boobs have history and normally good history, but i’ve started to really panic recently. I don’t know if it’s cos i’m getting older and things are just hanging now, I’ve lost the fullness at the top of the bust and i have quite a lot of side boob going on. Ordinarily i wouldn’t worry and go along wearing me bras, but i got my wedding coming up, and i can’t seem to find the right thing. I had to get a a wedding dress with straps as strapless/ multiways are no go for me. and also i seem to have the back boob that hangs over my bra :( . so whenever i go bravisimo they always try to get to go in a smaller back size and i hate it, it just makes the back bulge bigger :( Another reason, i’m having this outpour as my man says “lift and separate” is all good, but i want and can’t seem to get a proper together cleavage :( even with 38HH boobs i can’t get them to go together as it were… i’m probably just outpouring due to my recent pent up frustration with wedding bra shopping. You already offer great support and advice, but if you can add anything, i would be appreciate any further advice!! My friends all think my boobs are great, if only they knew hey… From a desperate cleavage wanting person x

7. Pam March 31, 2013 at 12.53 #

ok, so i held off on responding until after my fitting yesterday. I tried most of the panache and freya ones. and basically living out of a tango for the past who nows how many years! and then.. yesterday with little sister and wedding dress in hand, i went down to bravissmo, unloaded on the poor women “blah blah, bras don’t fit, even ones i buy here blah blah” and she said… “ok, you are the fourth woman today (over HH) who has walked in with same problem” basically it’s my boob shape.. I have oval, rugby ball boobs….i’m not sure i can explain it in writing as it took lots of hand gesticulations for me to understand.. but most bras (even HH plus) don’t have enough fabric depth wise to hold my boob, which basically pushes breast tissue out the sides and around my back. After nearly 25 years of this i have to wear the right size bra and retrain my boobs to be in the right direction as it were. but really it was a revelation to hear boob shape is what was different, not just that they were bigger! my fitting lady was quite annoyed by the fact that the manufacturers do not really cater for this and there were only three bras i could take away with me (all different sizes) it also proved to me that i just can’t buy online, i HAVE to go and try bras on.. so my ideal size in and ideal oval boob bra would be 36JJ and the three i bought are a mix of 36K, 36J and 38J.. it depends on brand, size and cut…

Yesterday i bought the Melissa by Cleo, Aleya by bravissimo and the wedding bra is: Meg by Cleo. Now just need to sort the dress!

8. Rosanne May 14, 2013 at 12.53 #

What a great post, so many ladies don’t realise you need to dress from the inside first with fabulous lingerie that fits perfectly. Your size is not important as long as the garments fit properly.

Rosanne

9. claudine June 5, 2013 at 12.53 #

Hi my name is Claudine an i live in Trinidad and Tobago,i have always have problems with my bust i want to know were u buy your bra if it has a place on line that i can buy it , i love your look .

10. maggie July 26, 2013 at 12.53 #

hi, any link for the corset you’re wearing with your maidenform shapewear on the pic? xx

11. Lea September 8, 2014 at 12.53 #

Hey, I just wanted to say a quick Thank you for the Bravissimo-advice!
    I usually live in Germany and I feel like it’s even harder to get good bras and espacially good fittings and bra advice for bigger sizes here than it is in the UK, but luckily I work in the UK every so often, so after reading this blog entry, I made sure to get a fitting appointment with Bravissimo before going to London a couple of weeks ago.
    I hadn’t had a fitting, hadn’t even tried on bras in a store (I always just order them online, sort of guessing my size) in abut seven years and was noticing that my 38H bras tended to poke me and had me spill out a bit, so I was relieved when I was fit in a 38J at my fitting and bought three bras straight away, but after about a week, I was already on the tightest hook and the bra still wasn’t quite as snug as I would have liked it to be.
    So I went back to the store, hoping they might take the bra I hadn’t worn at all and the one I had only worn for a day back. They were SO amazing about it. They said, since I was actually fit in the wrong size and this was ultimately their mistake, they would take all three bras back, even the one I had already been wearing for a week. My fitter really made sure I felt comfortable in my new bras and was very supportive, so when I walked out with my new 36K-bras I felt like a completely new person. I was so amazed at the fit, the feeling and the support.
    I never even would have known about Bravissimo without you, so thank you very much, it’s made a huge difference for me!

• fullerfigurefullerbust September 8, 2014 at 12.53 #

This was so lovely to read, amazing!x