Fat Girls Should Wear Baggy Clothes

17 Aug

This is a subject I have touched on before in this post but it is one that still bothers me!

It seems that fashion magazines like to ignore the larger ladies among us, and when they do suddenly notice us (I mean, how can they miss us?!) they throw us some useless piece of advice that basically tells us “You’re fat, cover it up in this vast dress.”

Well I am one big girl who refuses to follow those ‘fashion rules’. I believe in dressing to your strengths – and only you know what your strengths are. Yes people can tell you your legs are wonderful, but if you prefer to flaunt your cleavage and cover the legs then that’s your choice and your strength. Being larger does not mean you can’t pull off all sorts of looks. And just to show you that, here are some of my latest wardrobe additions which may break a few rules, but I feel good about myself in these outfits and so sod the magazines!

As you may be able to tell those dresses are Deadly Dame dresses, Micheline Pitt’s line over at Pinup Girl Clothing. The spotty dress is the L’Amour and the olive dress is the Mon Cheri. They are both 2XL and not only fit my boobs and bum in whilst being a perfect length, they also come with belts that don’t need extra holes punched into them!!! I am in love! Yes you can see I have a bit of a belly and my chubby arms are quite evident – but the overall effect of the dresses are very flattering on my figure. They don’t show off too much, they just skim my shape and make me look the size I am rather than far bigger in some tunic that covers all the goodies!

Due to my love of all things animal print I felt compelled to snap up this Zanzibar dress from my favourite bust friendly clothing company BiuBiu. I must admit that was tipped me over the edge was seeing Erica of ‘A Sophisticated Pair’ rocking hers…

And yes I am many sizes larger than Erica but the flattering effect is the same. The modest neckline and length lets the animal print take centre stage, and at just over £25 it is a must buy for all busty beauties. I went for a 46BB/BBB, the equivalent to Pepperberry’s 18RSC.

Ladies, don’t let your size and shape stop you when it comes to your wardrobe choices, don’t believe the fashion advice that slyly body shames and shuns us big girls, embrace our size and shape. Being larger does not mean you can’t pull off all sorts of looks, shop online today for a gorgeous range of clothes for a fuller figure.

34 Responses to “Fat Girls Should Wear Baggy Clothes”

1. Jessica Meloche August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

Well I don’t see big arms or a belly when looking at you in these fabulous outfits. I see a confident bombshell of a lady with luscious boobies & perfect silhouette.

2. Monica August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

Well, I don’t see the big arms or belly…but I do see a very sexy, confident, woman!! Bravo and kudos!!! You’re my new hero!!!

3. Lena August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

yeah, and if websites/magazines show plus size clothes they are on models that are size 12 or 14 max… bah!

4. Erica of A Sophisticated Pair August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

/thud! The L’Amour dress is breath-taking on you, but I love all of them. I’m so happy you bought the Zanzibar because it looks FANTASTIC on you. Such a flattering and comfortable dress! As someone who used to wear a US 18/20, I too despise the emphasis on baggier clothes. Structure works so much better than hiding in a sack. Women over a US size 12 (sorry I don’t know the UK equivalents!) are fashion’s lost woman unfortunately. :(

5. littlemansmum August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

I wish I had your confidence and could take you shopping with me x

6. Michelle Jackson August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

Those dresses look perfect on you, I was still unsure if the Mon Cheri would suit me (I have the L’amour) but you convinced me to add it to my next PUG shop!
    I’m more comfortable wearing form fitting clothing now than I was when I was much smaller, purely down to confidence, which I can’t imagine a tent would give me….
    x

7. Christopher August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

The only rule you broke here is the one that defines “gravity.” There’s a beauty upon which one could float right up to the gods!

8. astrid August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

You look absolutely fantastic in all three outfits, especially the first one. Just wow!

9. storybookapothecary August 18, 2012 at 12.53 #

you look so classically beautiful in your outfits! x

10. sandra_nz August 18, 2012 at 12.53 #

I don’t quite know how to put this, so I’ll try and put it simply. One of the problems that I find with fitted clothing is that I feel like I look very sexy. And I don’t always want to look overtly sexy. Does that sound stupid?

• Jake November 28, 2013 at 12.53 #

Yes. Would you rather look ugly? Because those are really your only two options if you’re larger.

• fullerfigurefullerbust November 29, 2013 at 12.53 #

Large does not equal ugly. Large women can wear whatever they want, as can large men.

11. XL Hourglass August 18, 2012 at 12.53 #

You look so great! I tend to swing from wanting tight, tight clothes, to practically swimming in my clothes!! My main problem with wearing tight clothes is being comfortable: I find belts and fitted skirts to be a bit constrictive! And I like being comfortable, I can’t always be bothered to put on shapewear and a snug belt and heels!

12. Isabel August 18, 2012 at 12.53 #

*DROOL* You look fabulous is each of these dresses – especially the Zanzibar. Do you think this would work on someone who’s less hourglassy, more apple-shaped? Also, do you think it’s too slinky to wear at the office? I’m hoping I could pull it off at work with my Flexees underneath. By the way, are you wearing any shapewear with the Zanzibar in this photo?

13. Stacy August 18, 2012 at 12.53 #

I love these on you! I’m always too self conscious to wear anything too form fitting, because I despise my saddlebags… and after having a kid, my waist is not as small as it used to be. Now I gain weight in my waist, argh!! I always gained more proportionately before.

And I so agree about the baggy clothes. Just because I wear a size 16 (US) doesn’;t mean that I don’t have a waist and curves. I look killer in a-lines, think 50s style skirts with fitted tops. Sure I don’t want to emphasize the belly pooch I have nowadays, or cling to my hips too much, but I need something that gives shape and doens’t make me look bigger.

My other hate with plus-sized advice: wearing skirted bathing suits. Most of the skirts either hit right at my widest part (the saddlebags) or are so long I look like I’m 20 years older and 20 pounds heavier than I am. I finally found one I liked that was just over the butt, but it took a ton of looking, and I wasn’t deliberately looking for one.

14. iamcalledwonder August 21, 2012 at 12.53 #

Dayuuuuuuuuuum girl. You are KILLING it in those dresses. I mean, DAYUM! That dress with the print really suits your skin and I could just die of envy because of your boobs. Wow. Keep on being gorgeous, inside and out!

15. DragonflyWriter August 21, 2012 at 12.53 #

Reblogged this on Applause and Whistles and commented:
    This is my loving body repost of the day! I just have one thing to say: no matter what size you are, have fun dressing up and looking fabulous.
    I may be plus-sized now, but I look damn good. Also, Pinup Girl Clothing has amazing clothes. I bought my one-piece there and I look like a sexy lady in it–fat or not fat.

:< I need to save up money so I can buy some of those dresses.

16. Missy August 22, 2012 at 12.53 #

Both outfits look amazing on you, i wouldn’t say you was fat at all, but curvy. Everything is in proportion and your waist looks tiny, mine doesn’t even look that small lol. If anything i thin baggy clothes that are poor fitting make someone look bigger than what they are. Looking fabulous hun, i admire your confidence :-)

17. nennyv August 25, 2012 at 12.53 #

Oh, belts that don’t need extra holes punched in them… Such elusive creatures. One would think that, the point of belts being to make things tighter, matching belts would always be adjustable to a circumference smaller than the garment itself. But, for some reason, one would be wrong.

18. nennyv August 25, 2012 at 12.53 #

Haha, belts that don’t need extra holes punched in them are truly elusive creatures.

19. Rachel September 4, 2012 at 12.53 #

I have been throwing off this convention for many years. The most trouble I have with trying to circumvent it is when I’m trying to make my own clothing. I’ve found that patterns that would actually fit me if made properly and boring, drab, and shapeless. I’ve got CURVES baby! And I want to flaunt them. Thanks to a few years of seamstress/costuming training I can size up patterns that normally wouldn’t fit me and flatter my shape for less money than an off the rack dress that I would need to alter. I’m glad so many other people agree shape is important!

20. sarahekushner September 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

I just ordered the Mon Cheri after seeing how amazing you look in it (my husband thought you looked amazing as well, and he was like “get the dress… get it now”). I hope I can get half your fab-ness. Love your blog btw.

21. MisfitMamaAtHome October 1, 2012 at 12.53 #

You are stunning!

22. Valentina Morante-Morley October 22, 2012 at 12.53 #

I hate what magazines and ‘fashion people’ say too! I went to our local mall for a fashion night to get advice for my figure and was told to ‘layer’. So basically, wear more than is necessary to make myself look even bigger! Ridiculous! I laughed in this woman’s face! Thank you for reminding me how sexy I look when I wear tight dresses and skirts too! <3

23. Tenison October 22, 2012 at 12.53 #

Awesome!! Do you wear any type of Spanx with these dresses? They all look beautiful on you.

24. Henry Bemis October 23, 2012 at 12.53 #

You are fabulous,don’t ever let the haters get you down. :)

25. Tia December 22, 2012 at 12.53 #

Girl, Forget the haters!!! You have a Bad-Ass Shape !!! I wish I had it!!

26. Christine May 2, 2013 at 12.53 #

To see how smashing and confident you look in you dresses really gave me confidence! You gave me hope.

27. Revenwyn May 28, 2013 at 12.53 #

This is great and wonderful for you but not all of us plus size ladies have an hourglass figure or a figure with a relatively smaller waist. I’m completely straight from my band size down to my hips,and while my tummy is flat and toned, I don’t have any waist to hip definition to speak of. I’m a US size 16 and can’t find any dresses that flatter my shape at all. I’m also short for plus size. I’m just big. Not fat (19% body fat here) but big.

28. Jake November 28, 2013 at 12.53 #

I may be going on a limb here, but I think that most fat girls don’t have that sexy shape you do. In fact, I’d say that the ones with a belly or smaller hips would probably be better off just wearing tunics- because form fitting isn’t cool when your form is bad. It’s like a dude with a beer belly wearing underarmor- not cool. Underarmor’s for 2 types of men: football player/powerlifter/bear types who are far but also muscular, and bodybuilder/typical athlete types who are shredded with abs and the like. I think that similarly, form fitting clothes is meant to be worn by women with hourglass or pear types, or at worst, the ripped/athletic apple. Breaking the mold just disgusts everyone tbh. It’s nice that you can display your body with such sensuality, but I think the takeaway shouldn’t be some sort of fake confidence from being fat: women should figure out what men find attractive (really simple: small waist, big boobies, big butt) and let that determine how to show themselves off. If they get unrealistic standards,those should at least be attractive and healthy( like you). Body image isn’t the problem as much as misaligned goals. But that’s just my opinion. You can do whatever the **FUCK** you wanna do!

29. Meaty Meaterson January 7, 2014 at 12.53 #

You look amazing!!!!

30. Amadeo July 5, 2014 at 12.53 #

Beautiful bombshell of a lady. Keep rockin’ it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. We ARE Good Enough: Musings on Body Acceptance | A Sophisticated Pair - October 23, 2012

[...] to love what they have and how to show it off the best?  We need more articles like Georgina of Fuller Figure Fuller Bust’s post on how fitted clothing maximizes her figure more than the shapeless tents fashion gurus keep throwing at [...]