Bra Sizes Do Not Exist Without Back Sizes

16 Aug

I’m about to show you an image that will blow your mind.

I know what you’re thinking –

“What?! How can they be over a D? They look tiny! How do you know that? It’s nonsense!”

Let me start by telling you that those bras are Curvy Kate bras and they only start at a D cup, meaning that the wearers would have to be a D or even over. And yes, you may start to entertain the idea of photoshopping but why? What makes it so hard to believe that those women have D+ breasts? After all, all a D cup is is a bust measurement that is roughly 4 inches bigger than the underbust measurement. So if, for example, those women are both 28Ds then they theoretically have 28 inch underbusts and 32 inch busts. Is that so hard to fathom?

I see and hear a lot of women talking about their bust as a letter and nothing else, something that infuriates me.

“This dress was perfect on me, and I’m a DD!”

“I don’t get how she’s a G? I’M a G!”

Here’s the thing: to label yourself solely as a letter or make assumptions about a letter is misguided. Without a back size a cup size means nothing. It would be like telling the time and only telling the minute not the hour. It’s half past…but half past what? The two pieces of information need to go hand in hand as without one the other does not make sense.

So when we see a women and she is labelled as being a “32DD”, we cannot, in our 40DD bra, scoff and say ‘But how can SHE be a DD when I am a DD?!’ – it just makes no sense. A 32DD and a 40DD have nothing in common at all apart from the fact that they both have the DD label. They are not the same size, they are just the same relative size – by that I mean the ‘DD’ is an indication of how proportionally large the bust is in comparison to the frame, NOT how large the bust is all on it’s own.

Cartoons like the above do not help with cup letter ignorance. The assumption that ALL DD cup women have huge breasts is false – as proven by my first image.

Cup size ignorance leads to ill fitting bras – women assume, for example, that they can’t be a D cup as D cups MUST be huge, and therefore they suffer in too small cups and riding back bands. Do yourself and womankind a favour and wise up about bra sizes. Don’t always put it down to ‘vanity sizing’.

81 Responses to “Bra Sizes Do Not Exist Without Back Sizes”

1. Butterfly Collection (@bflycollection) August 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

Brilliantly written post GH. Once you know that cup size means nothing without the band size your whole bra world opens up. My post on this subject has been my most viewed so far this year so there’s hope that we changing things! http://blog.butterflycollection.ca/2012/05/bra-school-not-all-d-cups-are-same-size.html Booby kisses to you xx

2. contrary kiwi August 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

I love this George! I’ve been seeing so many even well-educated women saying “well, I’m a [cup size]” and it irritates me, because it doesn’t mean anything and since they are otherwise well informed about bras, their usage of a cup size without a band size teaches uninformed women that it’s ok to do.

I will definitely be sharing this on FB!

• astrid August 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I think cup letter alone are significative. Sure,they’re about relative size, not absolute size, but while the women in your D+ example are tiny, their chest isn’t and I don’t think that most people argue that a D+ cup equates a large frame. Same goes for fitting a dress while being a certain cup size: a G+ cup woman is gonna face similar problems with fit whether they are a 28 or a 38, because obviously the one wearing a 28 band will need a smaller size and the proportions of the dress might still not have enough boob room while still fitting her waist and hips. A 36B and a 30DD bra might have the same cup volume, but they look dramatically different and there is less engineering involved in the B cup bra.
      That being said, I agree that people have ridiculous ideas about what sizes look like and I hate hate hate this cartoon too!

• frustrated February 28, 2014 at 12.53 #

This is so true! Shirts and dresses never fit me because of my proportions. I need xs for my body size but xl+ for my boob size. I have a horrible time finding bikini tops that fit me. I can only get the triangle kind wear you can adjusts the ties. Any other type will either fit my body or my boobs. clothes are just the same. I either get shirts that are huge on me or get a shirt that fits but my boobs are exploding out. I normally wear a 32dd but I just got a victoria secret bra the band fits but the cup size is still a little too small. I have an hourglass shape (huge butt, tiny waist and huge boobs) it may be a lot of girls dreams but it sucks. No on makes clothes to fit that shape.

3. XL Hourglass August 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

I love the clock metaphor! I will start to use that :b If we start to think of “D” simply meaning “4inches bigger than…” then it also makes perfect sense that 40D’s are much bigger than 28D’s, because obviously something that is 4″ bigger than something big, is much larger than something that is 4″ bigger than something small….

4. Jen August 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

Thanks! This post was very helpful. I have the same problem in reverse, I am 38B. Im a bigger build person without a very prominent chest but that point seems lost on most people. They assume that if my back is 38 well then I must be at least a C or D…. frustrating.

• missfortuneuk November 4, 2013 at 12.53 #

I’m the same! I take 38B bras into fitting rooms and the ladies on the fitting room doors try to tell me they wont fit and I’m probably a 36D, I’m bloody well not!! lol

5. Clare August 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

A great article. I finally had a proper bra fitting a few months ago, and went from a 38B (thanks M&S), to a 30G… several people have since told me “there’s no way you’re a G cup”, but I know from how it fits I’m in the right size. If only all bra fitters were taught to fit properly!

6. These sort of informative yet simple posts really make my heart sing =) because I can show them to my friends/sisters/etc and they will understand this irrefutable evidence that many ladies are in fact D+ and do now have ‘giant bazookas’ x

7. Slic August 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

THANK YOU! For trying to educate the world. I have given this exact same lesson to many men and women who look at me in judgement when I say I am a 30DD. I wore the wrong size bras for over 10 years before finally figuring out myself. Victoria Secret told me I was a 34B. Not even close! So happy to finally know my size and have well fitting bras!

8. Dory August 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

George–I absolutely LOVE the way you describe this as telling the hour and not the minute. I tried to explain this aspect of bra sizing to my boyfriend once and no matter how many ways I put it he was totally mystified….more than him though I wish that more lingerie companies understood this fact. As a 32 FF, I have never been more frustrated to go into a store and see racks of bras that I would be swimming in yet cannot wear because the back sizes are all wayy to big! When I was younger my mum and I were shopping, and she kept holding up bras and being like “There’s no way your an E cup! THIS is an E cup and you are much smaller than this!” the back sizes, however, would be miles bigger than what I needed. great post <3

9. Jessica Nichols Agee August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

I have just never knew,i am a 38d i def look like i have big boobs and i too thought if you are a b you are small c average and d big and so on but i guess i was wrong cause a 28d could be average??? IDK but i have “been” a 38d since i was 16 and i am not so comfy in my bra but i thought it was maybe the wrong band?? VS measured me yrs ago and i was a 38d but i honestly don’t think they did it right.I wish i knew cause i have e un-comfy for a long time and i have chronic pain on top of it so i am not a happy camper….ps~i love your blogs and fb page and i posted this on my wall =)

• Jen February 20, 2013 at 12.53 #

If you are having trouble finding the right size to to Nordstrom and they will fit you correctly. Alternatively, you could diy at home if you have a measuring tape using this website http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php. I was surprised several years ago to discover that I was not a 34DD but a 32G. Wowza! That means my breasts are 10″ larger than my ribcage!

• Christine April 4, 2014 at 12.53 #

I just had the same issue!! I went to the store to buy new bras and 34DD wasn’t fitting well…turns out I’m a 32G. They don’t look huge on me, but with the right size they definitely look much happier!

• Chelsea September 26, 2013 at 12.53 #

I recommend visiting http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/fit_guide for the most correct information on bra sizing.

10. Sassy Curves August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

Very well said. Here in the US we are way behind on the knowledge of having a proper bra fitting. I always have to stop myself from telling someone they are in the wrong size bra. As its riding up the back or gaping and/or bulging in the cups. Plus I bet if I did a poll of women here, they would all say that DD is the largest cups made.
    Keep up the great work and blogging

11. misfit120 August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

Georgia. I thought, as a guy, I’d give you a “like” on your blog on behalf of all guys who are somewhat shallow when they so much as come across a blog on bra sizes. Besides, I had no idea bra sizes encompassed the entire alphabet.

12. lisa August 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

Like the others said, THANK YOU! I think we just have to keep saying this and saying it and saying it, and eventually people might begin to get it… (30H/32G here)

13. allthewaydoc August 18, 2012 at 12.53 #

who knew so many people were completely ignorant as to how bra sizing works! If I wore a 34 then my cup size would be an DD, at a 36 I am a D, a 38 i wear a C. So depending on who I was trying to impress, I could claim to be any of the above.

14. Zoe August 18, 2012 at 12.53 #

Word.

I’m a 28C. Most people looking at me would not think I’m a C cup. I’m very flat-chested, so most people would think I’m an AA or A cup. I have 3 to 4 inches difference between my bust and underbust, which is not much at all.

15. Vicki McCrary August 22, 2012 at 12.53 #

I agree with Astrid. That said – Living in the states I can say that women know that DD is not the largest cup made , they know DDD( triple D). DDDD ( 4 D’s) and over that. Some of those women do buy from lower end dept and stores: Kmart- Walmart and Target. However alot of women buy from Macys, Dillards, and Nords
    trom. Also some of those women buy from websites – Wacoal is one , HerRoom too. Bigger than DD – whatever the band isn’t new ….
    Except in 32,30,28 26 and 24 bands.
    Wacoal and Macy’s does sell 30/32 bands D-DDD and G ( 4), H(5) cup’s

16. Allie August 23, 2012 at 12.53 #

Thank you! I wore a 34B for years, assuming that I couldn’t possibly be any other size because I didn’t have huge boobs. Then I went to Rigby & Peller and was utterly flabbergasted when they told me I was a 32D. A D cup? Surely only glamour models and people with enormous boobs were D cups? Nope. Since then I’ve lost a bit of weight and I’m now a 30D – but still a D cup!

Those ridiculous ‘measure under your bust, then measure the fullest part’ calculations are utter rubbish.

17. ali September 9, 2012 at 12.53 #

I love this, I’m a 38-40C and recently a girl at work wouldn’t believe that is my size, she kept telling me that my boobs are really small (I had breast reduction surgery), for her a 40 and on top of it a C cup could only mean very busty. So I had to patiently explain to her that even though I don’t have huge breasts since I am on the heavy side, my band size will be large and therefore, my bra size will seem large.

18. Erica of A Sophisticated Pair September 11, 2012 at 12.53 #

Excellent, excellent post, George! xx I hate when I read reviews of a dress or top I want to buy and see “The size 8 fit perfectly, and I wear a D cup” too. Hopefully, with more posts like this one on the Internet, women will become more educated about how bra sizes work. :)

19. Tiffany D September 16, 2012 at 12.53 #

What I want to know is were can I get these bras? I can never find beautiful styles like these

20. Em September 18, 2012 at 12.53 #

Thanks so much for this post! I’m a 28F which causes a lot of confusion, and highstreet stores assuming I must be mistaken because I don’t look like Barbie! My boobs don’t mean I topple over, like you say, it’s all relative!

21. natasha November 3, 2012 at 12.53 #

I’m a 28D/30C and might as well have mosquito bites! Sick of the looks of disbelief. Yes, I know I look like an A cup, thanks for pointing that out LOL

22. Lana December 28, 2012 at 12.53 #

I’m thinking I don’t believe it until there’s one of these bras on my boobs!

23. chris December 28, 2012 at 12.53 #

this article is filled with good information as i have a broad chest and no one believes my cup size.
    however
    theres one glaring problem with the photo of these two women. the lighting in both pictures is basically set up to make their breasts look as small as possible.
    theres hardly any clevage shadow, and no gradient shading at all to show the roundness of the breast. if you pay attention to the patterns of their bras you can see that these women actually do have very large breasts regardless of their band size

• Melody February 27, 2013 at 12.53 #

Exactly! I noticed this too. I look just like the women in the first pic and in different lighting (and even just natural, everyday lighting, they look way bigger).

24. Garlic February 4, 2013 at 12.53 #

I had no idea! Thanks!

• Lo February 19, 2013 at 12.53 #

Agreed

• Lo February 19, 2013 at 12.53 #

me too

25. Angeiix3 February 11, 2013 at 12.53 #

For years since 3rd grade to be exact I’ve been wearing 36C or 34C bras now that I’m 14 I’m in a 36D and I’m spilling out everywhere. -.- My mom told me that I was nowhere near a D cup so she picked up a 38D (obviously since its a 38 the cup size is going to be bigger) She seemed satisfied when she saw that the 38D was too big (Well no duhh cuz the band size is 38 the D cup is going to be bigger) Finallyy I’m fed up with being in constant pain lower back pain and tittyy pain. The straps
    8dig and the band rides up. One of my friends gave me a link to a bra fitter (Butterfly Connection. :) ) and to my shock I’m somewhere near a. th28Hbut my mom who is a 36HH says I can’t be because I’m not bigger than my sister is a 38D.

• fullerfigurefullerbust February 11, 2013 at 12.53 #

A 28H is one cup size bigger than your sister, it is possible! Or she may be in the wrong bra x

• Angeiix3 February 12, 2013 at 12.53 #

I think I finally tought my mom the concept of bra sizes by actually fitting myself in front of her.xD. bust measurment= 38.5in. underbust measurement= 28 in. 10.5 inch different which. Is somewhere inbetween an 28I or an 28II. What’s odd about it its equivelant to a 38AA but yet it sounds like they’d be huge. I hope I can help other people understand bra sizing. :)

26. Melody February 27, 2013 at 12.53 #

While I generally agree with you, and have had to explain this to a few people myself, there are some errors in this post. First, those pics are shall we say “true to size” but they are bad lighting, in other lighting they would look a lot larger (I speak from my own personal experience as I’m a 32c, lighting can make an enormous difference). Also, a D cup is not 4 inches larger than the underbust measurement, it’s 4 inches larger than the underbust measurement + 6. So if your underbust measurement is 26, you add 6 and get 32. Then if your bust is 36, you subtract 32 and get 4, making you a 32d. If your underbust is 28 and your bust is 32 you’d actually be a 34aa. Also, cup size alone does matter in that it’s relative to body proportions, so while 32c and 36c might not look the same, both women will look like c cups proportionately.

• fullerfigurefullerbust February 28, 2013 at 12.53 #

Sorry, but you do NOT add inches to under bust measurements to get your bra size.

• Stu Pidflanders March 30, 2013 at 12.53 #

I’m really confused about how a 28 back would wear a 34band???? Seriously, I’ve never heard that random and abstract method before and I’m wondering just what was in that cup of tea I just drank…..??

• fullerfigurefullerbust March 30, 2013 at 12.53 #

28 inches = roughly 28 band etc

• kathleenshimp May 12, 2013 at 12.53 #

This is how we were taught back in the good old days. I am 41, and this is how it was when I was first put in a bra.

• kathleenshimp May 12, 2013 at 12.53 #

This is the method we were taught back in the good old days. I am 41, and that is just how it was when I was first put in a bra. It may be wrong, but it was what we did.

27. Erin March 16, 2013 at 12.53 #

Holy crap. Pardon my French. I’ve never “gotten” it before, but now it totally make sense!

28. Deb April 9, 2013 at 12.53 #

Wish I had known years ago, and tried a bigger cup size. Little thin framed me went from 32c to 34b to 34d, which I was told was my size. Some D’s I couldn’t fill most I fell out of when I bent over, even though I tried to find a full coverage bra. And the sides were always too low cut. Then I came across a 34DD on the sale rack, I tried it on, and it did the job. The wide band fit great, the sides were high enough and what little I have was corralled in. No one believes me that I wear a DD, because I’m not a large person & they don’t look large!

29. NK April 22, 2013 at 12.53 #

The models above are not a D cup. I have seen them wearing semi sheer bras with inserts to help them fill out the cup, and still, there was wrinkling and you could tell – this bra is too big for her. The are modelling bras on the website I like to buy from, and the one of the right especially has a hard time filling out the busty brand cups (saw her modeling Cleo Marcie with an insert).

30. Revenwyn May 28, 2013 at 12.53 #

I always have a hard time fitting bras. My ribs are 39 inches without excess fat, the fullest part of my bust is 45, very side and bottom heavy. However the top half of my breasts is very flat. It measures around 42 inches and so I either have to have a wire that is far too small for me or have a lot of excess fabric in my bra up top. Any suggestions? Even demi or plunge cups often have too much extra fabric.

31. Katrina Mitchell June 13, 2013 at 12.53 #

Great article. Thanks for spelling it out. I just got fitted and i am a 34d. I was like no way! After a little research i realized that all D’s are not created equal. I am also good wearing a 36b or 36c which is easier to find. As mentioned in another comment i will flaunt my d cup as needed. Lol! Thanks again!

• bayba July 11, 2013 at 12.53 #

Idk cuz I’m 28h /32dddn my boobs look huge hmmmm I’m also 5’0 so I wouldn’t say all small frame larger chest differwncw r flat or small

32. Gabby July 22, 2013 at 12.53 #

Love this! So I always thought I was really small since I could barely get any cleavage and I would wear a 32 A-34A bra but most the time the straps would feel too heavy on my shoulders. I went to the website given for the bra size and instead of being an A cup I’m actually a C cup. Hopefully now I can find bras that would be more comfortable and not weigh down on me!

33. Charlotte September 24, 2013 at 12.53 #

Thanks for posting!! Have been telling my friend for years she’s in the wrong size – she wears a 32 but is a size 6 (needless to say the gaping on her backstraps is huge) – my guess is she’s a 28D but she says you cannot buy 28s on the high street (excluding bravissimo) and i think she’s right, anyone know where to get more common sizes (basically up to an E) but in small backsizes? Excluding the internet

thanks!

34. TheVintageCat November 4, 2013 at 12.53 #

Great post, I completely aree! I’ve bought bras in B and C cups, previously 34, now 36. My weight fluctuates pretty dramatically, and now that I am on the bigger end, all of my bras fit poorly. Where would you recommend I go to get properly measured, or how can I properly measure myself, so I can get a great the right sized bra. <3

35. tinyminx November 4, 2013 at 12.53 #

Hello. I started wearing a bra when I was 10 in 1978. In those days bras above a C cup did not exist. I remember when the first D cup emerged, it was revolutionary!
    When I was first fitted properly (smaller back size, larger cup) I felt like I’d rediscovered my body. My friend has recently gone from wearing a C cup to a 28G and what a difference to her shape.

36. Maria December 14, 2013 at 12.53 #

Aaaaaw thank you soo much for trying to clear people’s mind. I’m a 30DD which is far from huge and everytime I tell people about my size they go: “DD? That’s imposible!” I get so annoyed beacuse I’m like… My body is pretty small, and that’s why I can wear a B or C cup. Besides, in Spain they don’t usually make 30DD bras, so I have been all my life wearing inaproppiate sizes, but finally, I’ve started buying bras online and the difference is really noticeable.
    This is brilliant, you’re great!

37. Evie December 19, 2013 at 12.53 #

I don’t think it’s the band size that’s mostly throwing people off. After all, a 34DD will look smaller than a 30F, even if they have the same volume, because they are smaller in proportion to the torso. It’s mainly that a lot of women are wearing bras 3-4 cup sizes too small, because of +4. Our ideas of cup sizes are skewed, so an actual D cup looks like the popular concept of an A or B, and people assume boobs the size of mine (G) are DD’s.

38. Jennifer Sawyer January 17, 2014 at 12.53 #

I totally agree. I try to tell people this all the time im a bigger size and people just dont believe me i want to take my bra off show them jj lol geez. I have a friend who has a large back size and swears out shes bigger than me but doesnt get im a 36 and shes like a 50 but we have two different cup sizes hers looks bigger. i had to show her my size she didnt believe me. i am thinking because of the band. bras are nothing without that band

39. Collins February 25, 2014 at 12.53 #

Cup size always means how big your boobs are relative to your chest no matter what the bandsize. A 28D will be just as large as a 38D relative to the person who wears them, of course area is totally different. So cup size means something without bandsize.

• fullerfigurefullerbust February 26, 2014 at 12.53 #

Uh huh.

40. Rainshadow Noba March 9, 2014 at 12.53 #

I wish more bra manufacturers understood this point. I’m a 30D and nearly NOBODY even makes this size and only one store in my whole city actually carries it on the rack to be tried on. I hate ordering bras online, I really do, but most manufacturers seem to think that to have a 30 band size, the bust must be tiny too. That’s not the case. I’m a very petite woman, but wear a 30D bra size. Victoria’s Secret, nor Fredrick’s of Hollywood, even make band sizes that small. I’ve had people tell me to wear a 30, I’d need to find a training bra! I’m nearly 30 years old and have three kids and they expect me to fit into a training bra simply because my ribs aren’t very wide? It’s insane what people don’t know about proper bra sizing. And a 32C is NOT the same as a 30D. The fit, the look, the ability to be comfortable and confident, the 30D is way better!

41. Jamie March 29, 2014 at 12.53 #

great post!

42. magabriella April 9, 2014 at 12.53 #

This post has been enlightening! I took the plunge and purchased a pair of bras with the size that the calculator came up with: I’m now wearing a 34 G US size that fits me perfectly, when I used to think that my ideal bra size was a 38 DDD

43. Caterina April 23, 2014 at 12.53 #

Yes! I’m 13 and a 28dd. My boobs are on the big side, but just because I’m so slender nobody believes I’m a dd. I’ve actually sent this post to a few of the more outspoken naysayers! Thank you!

• fullerfigurefullerbust April 24, 2014 at 12.53 #

44. Luciana May 19, 2014 at 12.53 #

I am sorry for my bad, bad english!
    I am already confused! Partly, because all the brands have different nomenclatures (“E-F-G-H” or “DD-DDD-E-F-G-H”, it is obvious that the H of the first nomenclature corresponds to the F of the second… Even, there are brands in which 8 inches = cup D, 10 inches = cup DD and this way), partly for the following thing:
    1. My back: I have between 78 and 80 centimeters of back (30,4 to 31,2 inches), 35 of every side (13,7 inches). Supposedly, it corresponds to a band of 80-95 according to different nomenclatures and I was thinking that it was corresponding to 36 but, I have bought 36 and it is big… Will I have to try with 34?
    2. My measurements: Of band -as i said already- 78-80 centimeters (30,4 to 31,2 inches); of bust, between 108-112 [42.1-43.7] (more 109-110 but, not minor to 108) and, above of the bust, 90 [35.1] (although I don’t understand well where to measure “above of the bust” or how or why this measurement serves)
    According to http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php, my bra should be 36F (US) – 36G (UK) – 14F (AUS/NZ) – 80I – 95I
    36? It is big for me!
    36 F/G/I: is it a big cup?
    I have a strange perception of my body, i have self-esteem small in general, but, don’t know what to think. Often, the men speak about my boobs, which are big and agreeable and some friends say that “envy me” but, I am not sure… it is probable that they have small boobs and, for it, they envy me… In any shops, the sellers have not believed me when I have said my band and cup. They gave me a bra with a less cup but, verified that I was not lying when they saw that this cup was small for me… I don’t know if this happens because me seen with dark and “comfortable” clothes…
    In any case, as http://www.upliftstl.com / uploads / 1/3/9/1/13911986/9253769_orig.png, taking 11 inches of difference (the least value), i should have a volume of 2000 cc approximately (in every tits, i suppose)… It is sure that i have more than 1000 cc but, 2000… it is not too much? How do i do to verify this? With a plaster mold? :P
    The problem is that i don’t see myself like the girls that i see when i look in internet “36H boobs”, like Alix Bromley for example!
    I have problems of self-esteem or these girls lie in its measurements or it is a game of lights and quality of the photo, or they use bras “up” or… THERE ARE DIFFERENT 36H?
    I discard that it is only because, for example, my boobs are fallen… At most, i can have a pseudoptosis…
    But, i have come to the conclusion that i don’t have little volume in the top part of my boobs if not that, in general, I meet less “diameter” of tit than these women and it is true that certain cameras do not receive well the depth but, yes, they receive the diameter. My diameter is 22 centimeters (8,6 inches) approximately. The tallest girls, although there use bras 36 H… can they have a diameter major? I measure only 154 centimeters (60,1) :’(
    I know that my question is strange but, feel ridiculous when i say that i need a bra 36H. The bras that i find are ugly, “of grandmother” like this http://images.quebarato.com.mx/T75x75/brassieres+frederick+guadalajara+jalisco+mexico__62F209_2.jpg and, when i have asked for a bra to show my necklines, some seller has said to me that, if it should have big boobs, the “grandmother’s bra” would seem like that in me http://www.besamelingerie.co.uk/images/3398_001.jpg This, is it true?
    3. I live in Argentina, do not obtain shops where they bandage bras according to band and cup. Imagine that most of the girls keep on buying bras according to the band! I have to try hundreds of bras on between 110 and 115 centimeters to see if someone fits to my cup! Earlier, when he did not know anything, he was buying according to my back (band 95) and my breasts were always very tight.
    Please, if you meet some shop or importer :)

• Luciana May 19, 2014 at 12.53 #

Sorry: I had calculated badly, my diameter is not 22 centimeters, it is 16 -breadth- and 19 -height- (although, i don’t know where to begin measuring from above: i see more filling below; on the top, the most filling is unto 14 centimeters). It is not properly a circle, i will not have conventional boobs? :p The cup, usually, in the external side, close to the armpit, press and remain a little “free” in the part of the neckline.
      According to this that i found and i share http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurement, a 15.7 cm diameter corresponds to 36F 34G and a 16.5 cm diameter corresponds to 36G 34H (US system)
      85b.org’s calculation is correct but, nevertheless, i don’t know… i should prove it!

• fullerfigurefullerbust May 22, 2014 at 12.53 #

Hey love,

Your best bet is to check your size here:
      Learn about bra fit here:
      And size conversion here:

Brastop also sell cheap bras.

Size perception and how breasts look is different for everyone. Try to not get too hung up on how others look and focus on your own comfort x

• Luciana May 22, 2014 at 12.53 #

thanks! <3
        I am sory for everything what I have written :) But, I feel judged sometimes, most of the women, all the eyes are on us and it is not for anything well, they want to reproach you or up to cheer you to do things as if we could not decide for ourselves

• fullerfigurefullerbust May 23, 2014 at 12.53 #

Yes, people can be awful x

45. Luciana May 22, 2014 at 12.53 #

I see the link… http://www.butterflycollection.ca/bra-size-calculator/
    I am more confused: 30JJ – 30M (US). This is +o- equivalent to the measurement that, he believed, it had in 36… But, can it be? Can I send to you a photo so that you face me? I have seen that you have done it with the famous !!!

• fullerfigurefullerbust May 23, 2014 at 12.53 #

You should wear a band that’s roughly the same as what your ribs measure. Did you see the Brastop tips?x

• Luciana May 23, 2014 at 12.53 #

Yes, i have seen them!
        Namely, if my ribs measure 30.4 in, is my band 30? Then, i have used the wrong bra! I have a bra with band 36, it is big for my back but, i was thinking that i had to go for a 34, never imagined to go for a 30!
        thank veryyyyyy much for everything!

46. Ale May 29, 2014 at 12.53 #

Just shared this on fb, finally someone who actually explained this! I’ve explained it several Times, but no one ever gets it, they’ve been like “how can your breasts be bigger Than mine? I have a bigger cup size Than you!”

47. RawLifeWizard (@RawLifeWizard) June 4, 2014 at 12.53 #

Great article. I don’t have much more to say because I think you covered the confusion with bra letters and “vanity sizing” very well.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. New Obsession « melancholy experiments - September 30, 2012

[...] http://fullerfigurefullerbust.com/2012/08/16/bra-sizes-do-not-exist-without-back-sizes/ [...]

2. Blue and white lace set (Danglez DB5) — verypurpleperson - October 29, 2012

[...] E cup sounds overwhelming, but here is a helpful post about bra cup sizes and their relation to the band sizes. This is the bra calculator that have [...]

3. Bumps and Bulges. | Minnie Plus - July 19, 2013

[…] Fuller Figure Fuller Bust: Bra Sizes Do Not Exist Without Back Sizes (one of my favorite blogs!) […]

4. Part 4: Finding the Right Undergarments | clothesmadeforcurves - February 1, 2014

[…] Not all Cs DDs and Gs (and beyond) are built the same. A 32C is 3 sizes smaller in volume than a 38C, and has the same cup volume as a 34B. This is because your cup size is all about the proportion of your breasts to your body/underbust, nothing more. So say you are currently wearing a 34A but have measured yourself as a 30D, but you can only find D cups down to a 32D. In this case, you should try a 32C. The band may still be loose and cause fit issues, but the cups will fit much better as the 34A was one cup size too small for you. This is using a method known as sister sizing. Basically, once you find your bra size, (say my 28G), you can go up in band size and down in cup size to find other bras with your cup volume. People do this for all sorts of reasons – not enough money to ship overseas, some bras are tighter or looser in the band and are more comfortable in a size up or down in band, or sometimes people measure as one size but feel more comfortable a band size up or down. Here’s a great blog post with more to say on the matter: http://fullerfigurefullerbust.com/2012/08/16/bra-sizes-do-not-exist-without-back-sizes/. […]

5. fitspo boobs | Laura Lifts - April 13, 2014

[…] going to refer to George’s excellent posts about bra sizing, here (and steal a few of her […]