Trolling In The Deep

10 Feb

Short of living on Mars for the past few days you really have no excuse to not be aware of the Adele Vs Karl Lagerfeld situation. He called her “fat” and of course the world erupted! Yes, it is not nice to call someone “fat” but let’s face it, some people are. Adele is quite a big girl, yes, some may say fat, what is the big deal? We are allowed to slate Victoria Beckham for being too skinny, Jordan for having huge fake boobs, Nicola Roberts for being ginger…yet the moment the ‘F’ word is used the world goes crazy. So what if she is fat? As I stated in this post being overweight is not the end of the world. With a bit of effort it can be changed and it doesn’t harm or offend anyone else to see a fat person. Fat people can be sexy, dorky, funny, ugly, smart, sassy, attractive…they can be something to someone, something to someone else. Being fat does not dictate anything, does not mean that people suddenly become one way. It is purely physical. And shoot me for saying it but being “fat” does NOT make you “curvy” – in fact, sometimes women lose curves as their proportions swell. But being curvy is not the only way to be – it is not the most desirable shape! It is not vital to have obvious curves – you are not a fake women if you don’t have them. And to me Adele is not all that curvy, she is beautiful, but pretty much up and down.

Hence why this hit back article offended my eyes. “Fellas” like women who are slim, women who are fat, women who are curvy, women who are not women at all, inanimate objects, older women, transgenders…”fellas” do not have a type and I am constantly disgusted by people who think it is ok to make a point by going the other way. My fella, for example, has been out with several girls, all different ages and sizes and shapes. I would like to think it was the personality that captured him rather than his quest for “curves”. Being politically correct has gone too far. No way am I suggesting that we should all be like the negative trolls found lurking in the Daily Mail comments section, spewing out hatred and nasty words. But we needn’t tiptoe around for fear of offending people and lash out when someone does. People are allowed opinions, sometimes those opinions are founded, sometimes they are uncalled for, it doesn’t stop them being formed. It was not nice of Karl Lagerfeld to say what he said and definitely not needed in the context that he said it. But the following lash outs are just as bad. In order to defend someone you do not need to go all out with trying to make things better. We have become too eager to please and sugarcoat things – yes, I do it too. But sometimes it goes too far. Adele is a beautiful talented young lady, she is a singer, not a model and she loves the way she is, let her be happy let her be the one who worries about whether or not she is “fat” and whether or not it is an issue.

13 Responses to “Trolling In The Deep”

1. confessionsofacurvygirl February 10, 2012 at 12.53 #

I think people just freak out because some people think fat is the worse thing you can be. I don’t know why I would rather be fat than be an A**hole, or a convicted felon. I’m sure Adele knows what she looks like, she is reminded every time she has a interview.

2. Bras I Hate February 10, 2012 at 12.53 #

You are so right on! I don’t get why people are so hung up on Adele’s body. She looks like a totally normal, attractive woman to me. What’s the big deal? People are just people and they are who they are regardless of size! Haha great title too.

3. Jessica Meloche February 10, 2012 at 12.53 #

Unfortunately the media has stereotypes on what you “should” look like when being famous. It is refreshing that Adele is sticking to what she feels is best for her and not falling victim to the media pressures. She is beautiful inside and out…

As for people going AWOL about the comment…people need to chillax. I wish people would focus all those efforts on doing something positive rather than focusing on the negative.

4. Misty February 10, 2012 at 12.53 #

Seriously, I’m fat and have no problem with being called so. I want to change it to some extent for my health, but don’t find it worth obsessing about most of the time. I like me, my husband likes me, and that’s what matters. I know plenty of real women who are NOT fat. This does not make them less of a woman! Many girls I know (and guys, for that matter) struggle to GAIN enough weight to be healthy. It’s an equal and opposite problem that REAL WOMEN deal with. We’re all different, like it or not. We don’t need to fit into a mold one way or another. And I’m so with you on the P.C. crap. Everyone needs to calm down and stop letting silly words tear their world apart. You don’t have to agree with everyone else or have the same beliefs, but there is no need to whine and cry about everything people say! Grow a set, people!! ;) Thank you for your words. You really are inspiring.

5. Eternal*Voyageur (Venusian*Glow) February 10, 2012 at 12.53 #

I love what you say here. I completely agree that if it’s ok to call someone skinny it should be ok to call someone fat.
    I listened to a podcast recently and liked the way the woman talked about a “woman in a large body”. That way you separate the person from the way their body looks like. I’d like to use such expressions, and talk about people in fat bodies, skinny bodies, young bodies, old bodies, sick bodies…

6. Alessia (@__aleramone) February 10, 2012 at 12.53 #

I really don’t know why people think being fat is terrible.
    I’m overweight since, mh, ever. When I was younger some kids (or better teenagers) told me things like “you’re orrible”, “you’re fat” like it was a bad thing.
    I tried diets and they didn’t work for me. I think some people born to be fat and other born to be skinny even if they eat more than me.
    Some years ago a boy told me “you’ll never have a boyfriend because you’re fat”. He was wrong.
    I found the love of my life. He likes me in the way I am. He likes my body, my big boobs and “my soul”. And I can tell he’s beautiful, so that’s not true fat ladies marry just ugly boys ;)

Sorry for my english ;)

7. Addi February 11, 2012 at 12.53 #

While I think it’s probably his intention for this to be an insult to Adele, the part where I get bothered is where people swoop in with the “defense” that she’s not fat, she’s beautiful — as though she can’t be both.

She’s fat. Period. And she is also fucking GORGEOUS.

I feel the same way about myself. I’m fat. It is a FACT. I fit the textbook definition of a person who is obese. But I am also beautiful. When I say I’m fat to someone, they feel uncomfortable with that, as if I’m talking down about myself. There is a sudden compulsion to assure me that I’m not fat. But calling myself fat is just like calling myself dirty blonde or Caucasian. It does not determine my self-worth or define how attractive I am. It’s just another trait that makes me me, and you either like it or you don’t. It isn’t inherently bad.

8. Aleksandra Paschke February 13, 2012 at 12.53 #

I just wonder, why everybody thinks, that when a larger lady loses a few pounds she had to be on a diet.

I myself tried everything to lose some weight (I was skinny before and not at all happy with my new size). And just when I started to fell confident and beautiful, it happened!
    So why not believe Adele, that she hasn’t been dieting hard?! And why not believe me, that I lost weight accidentially?!
    I’m so sorry if this sounds a little depressed, I’m just full of people who look at me and say things like: “oh you lost weight! that looks so good!”
    Guess what, I’m beautiful now, but I was before as well…

9. Niamh February 13, 2012 at 12.53 #

If someone calls me fat, I am offended. I know it’s not the worst thing in the world to be called, and indeed, I would rather be fat than a horrid person, however when someone uses the word ‘fat’, it’s more often than not used in a derogatory way, which is why people get offended.
    Lagerfeld’s comments seem to be made in a derogatory way. There is nothing wrong with *being* fat, but why did he need to say it? He didn’t. Imagine if he’d brought in the colour of her skin, followed by the word ‘but’, as he did with her weight. In his comment, she is fat, BUT she is still beautiful. Therefore, he’s essentially saying fat can never = beautiful. You can only be beautiful in SPITE of fat.

I understand what people are saying in that being called fat shouldn’t be taken to be offensive, but if people mean it in an offensive way, how can you take it as anything but?

10. doesmybumlookbiginthis February 17, 2012 at 12.53 #

I agree with Niamph, it’s about how it is said. If i say someone is skinny, i am neither complimenting or insulting people, i am discribing their shape rather than if i said it as “she’s skinny… but she’s pretty.” It turns it into something else. i think Adele is beautiful whatever size she is :) xx

11. Helena March 19, 2012 at 12.53 #

As far as your remarks about Adele not being curvy, in that case, neither are you. Just because you have big breasts doesn’t make you “curvy”. Anyone can be curvaceous in a corset, look at Dita Von Teese. While I agree with you when you say that fat does not always equal curvy, it was pretty childish of you to use Adele as an example when you are an apple/rectangle figure just as she is except your boobs are a little bit bigger. Take a look in the mirror.

12. Amy August 22, 2012 at 12.53 #

The problem with the word fat is it is no longer used soley as a way of describing some thing, it is being increasingly used as a weapon to attack a person/s to put them down and assasinate their character and is used with the intension of being insulting and hurtful. I am a person who has almost always been very over weight. I am finally trying to do something about it and ADELE is goal, I think she has a beautiful figure is incredibley feminine and if I can work myself into a similar shape I would be so proud of myself.