A Cinderella Story – If The Bra Fits…

21 Dec

I have a dream. It involves boobs and bras and women. Although not in the way that you may expect…

Let me start at the beginning. As I have said before I never used to understand bra sizes and how to fit myself. It took a lot of nagging from a few friends and a lot of hanging around Bravissimo’s Facebook page before it all clicked for me and I now take that knowledge for granted. I now understand that a women with a 30F bust will not have bigger actual breasts than a woman who is a 38DD, but proportionally compared to her underbust measurement she will be bigger. As I said in this post “Someone with a 38 back with the same volume as someone with 28G boobs will require a 38D bra, as proportionally their boobs will not be as large as the smaller framed person. This is because a 28G has the same cup volume as a 30FF, a 32F, a 34E, a 36DD and a 38D. This should help to show how when we have to downsize or upsize in the band depending on the brand we are using, we also have to do the same in the cup.”
I now know that The Alphabet Does Not Stop At DDD. I know, firsthand, the horrors that can befall women who wear the wrong size bra. And therefore I get really very enraged when I see celebs broadcasting them being ‘x’ size when I know for a fact they must be a few back sizes smaller and a few cup sizes bigger. I experience fits of rage when I see women saying ‘she can’t be a D, I am a D and I am way bigger’ – er hello, BRA SIZES ARE ALL RELATIVE! My housemate aka boyfriend is used to me screaming and shouting at the computer screen or tv screen or magazine at something I have read and thanks to that he could probably fit bras a lot better than many women!

So here is my dream: I want to educate girls and women on how to fit bras and how bra sizes work. I have been known to address random women on the internet, on night’s out, my mother, my sister, my friends, basically EVERYONE and let them know just what I think of their bra size. Some have been successes, my greatest to date my ’34DD’ friend who was cajoled into a 30GG bra in Bravissimo! I try to explain to people why I think that tiny woman over there is not a 36DD and how what you measure under your bust is pretty similar to what your waist measures, therefore teeny waisted women have teeny backs, and teeny backs mean teeny bands! I have wept in frustration as I have tried to make women understand what a bra is meant to do. And I can’t help thinking that there are two major influences to blame for some women being left confused – our education and media influences, particularly busty celebs who either do not understand their correct bra size or prefer to admit some absurd stupid FRUSTRATING size. Hence me wanting to start some sort of programme where I go round schools and talk to young teenage girls about bra fitting and everything else related to that topic. I remember being told how to wipe my bum hygienically at school, how to use sanitary pads, how to put a condom on a banana – well what about teaching girls how to support their breasts? It is something I need to think about and work on.
As I said in my previous posts shoes and bras are very similar. Wouldn’t it be great if we could re write that Cinderella story and have Prince Charming searching the land for the owner of a 34G bra (somehow left on the palace steps…?!) It can’t be the ugly step sister’s, the band is too big, it can’t be the step mother’s her breasts are spilling out of the cups, it must be Cinderella’s as the band is snug, the gore is flat and the cups are perfect…a bit of an x rated fairytale but I think it could work! I’m looking at you Pablo Wapsi!

22 Responses to “A Cinderella Story – If The Bra Fits…”

1. Adelle December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

It would have been AWESOME to have been taught how to be properly sized in school! It would have saved me a DECADE of pulling on the smallest sports bra I could to squish them down! Unfortunately I doubt it’ll happen anytime soon. We’re taught to be ashamed of our bodies, not to care for them. :(

2. tongueincheck December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

Awesome! Have you read Hourglassy’s post about mentoring busty teenagers?

3. Laura van E. December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

Go for it George…I think it ‘ll make a lot of girls very happy and more secure of them selves.

4. Laura van E. December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

Go for it George….

I think it will help a lot of girls to find confidence in themselves. (at least 10 years ealier than most girls/women)

x

5. toni December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

You should have your own show! Boob make overs or something along the lines!!!
    I reallllly should go to have my bra measured properly!!!

tonix

6. allatalarsvenska December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

Maybe, if the story is going to be x-rated anyway, she would leave the bra hanging from his bedroom ceiling fan. :-D There was a blackout that night, that’s why he didn’t get a proper look of course. ;-)

7. allatalarsvenska December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

To be a bit more serious, I think it would be great for teenage girls to get told that there is a whole alphabet beyond the C-cup they find at H&M, and that there’s nothing abnormal with being outside of the highstreet range. It would help small-chested girls too. I bet a lot of girls crying because they are struggling to fill a 32A would be very happy to know they are actually a 28C. :-)

And if there is more demand for “odd” sizes, maybe, maybe the highstreet will discover there is a market…

8. Erica of A Sophisticated Pair December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

Well said!

9. Melissa December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

Could not agree more! The amount of women I see, more notable in summer, with their bra back-strap hitching a ride on their shoulder blades almost! I had a friend tell me once, she must have an odd bust because no bra fit her without hurting / uncomfortable. Like you, I got her to bravissimo, and she also went from a 34DD to a 30GG. No more pain! I do not understand why women have this stiil idea that any letter beyond ‘D’ is huge…sorry, I am starting to rant! ;-)

10. nattie December 21, 2011 at 12.53 #

Think the school idea is great. I have always felt too embarrassed to get fitted as I’m sure a lot of young girls do also, so if they can correctly fit themselves it will save all that unnecessary embarrassment of either going to a fitter or wearing an awful bra!
    Xx

• Donalda Reid December 22, 2011 at 12.53 #

As a fitter, I can tell you that fitting is much an art as a science. You should look at being fitted as no more embarrassing than going to a doctor. It is very hard to fit yourself accurately. But once you have been fitted into the right size the results can quite literally change your self image. I tell women…”it’s never you…it’s always the bra” that is at fault.

11. Donalda Reid December 22, 2011 at 12.53 #

I do fittings on a daily basis at my store in Jamaica and must say that women BELIEVE that a D or a DD is just about as big as you can get and when I tell a large busted woman that I am a DDD (UK E) they look at me like I am lying. I also happen to be a 34 (or 32) band and stand 5’9″. I want to say if I took my breasts and put them on your 5’4″ frame they WOULD look MUCH bigger.
    AND stores like VS promote this myth since they carry nothing smaller than a 32 band and nothing larger than a DD so….my poor 28F or 30GG girls be danged!

12. Fiona December 22, 2011 at 12.53 #

For some reason women think that being told they are wearing the wrong size bra is shameful, it’s not. There are only 20% of women out there wearing the right size bra, that means, 80% of us are wearing the wrong one! I think this post is great, be proud of what you have!

Fiona,
    Brayola

13. Linda The Bra Lady December 22, 2011 at 12.53 #

I’m so proud to say that I educate women on this very thing everyday! Love helping them feel fabulous and comfortable :) xo Linda the Bra Lady

14. eiremerald December 28, 2011 at 12.53 #

Amen, amen, AMEN! We are very similar in size and people freak out when I tell them my size. Now if we could just get the US department stores on board to carry sizes above DD. I swear it’s a conspiracy so they don’t have to carry as large of a range. I have to buy the European brands at specialty stores.

15. JayBee June 21, 2012 at 12.53 #

I am all for educating the girls in school on the subject. I never received proper guidance when it came on to bras. It’s now as an adult that I have started paying attention to correct sizing. I’m concerned when I see young ladies (not to mention the mature ones) wearing tight fitting bras with more than half their boobs outside… and it’s stylish for them. So wrong and so damaging!!

16. Beans (@Jonsey39_) February 5, 2013 at 12.53 #

Oh my goodness, I completely agree with everything! This is something I feel strongly about and can’t believe how much people have no idea about bras. It doesn’t help that society says that a D cup is big so most people don’t realise they probably are a D or bigger quite easily if they were wearing the correct back. I hear girls talking about bras and I know they are a UK size 10 but talking about wearing 36 back sizes and I know they cannot that size!
    It should definitely be taught!